Saturday, May 15, 2010

New Lease on Life


Evies dog eared yellow blanket is her trademark.
Her nurses comment when she drags that blanket in the doors of MUSC to visit them. They remember it was her constant companion for the weeks she stayed there. And still its her favorite thing in the world!
Its has been at her side through multiple surgeries.
Its been strawberry picking.
Its been to the beach.
Its been her security blanket - her lovie!
The beloved blankie has seen better days. It was made for Abi when she was born and has been passed down. Evie had dozens of "new" blankets to bond with when she was born, but this was her choice.

It looks like an absolute rats nest! When the holes and strings became a strangulation hazard, I seriously considered bidding it farewell.
But couldn't bring myself to it.
Im sappy and sentimental like that (shocking, huh?)
The Velveteen Rabbit was a favorite childhood story.
We performed surgery today....trimming off the frays and knots and adding a satin binding to the edge. Its a temporary fix. I think Ive bought a couple more months, but its only a matter of time.
Im currently on a search for a soft yellow crochet blanket. Thinking perhaps a metamorphosis might take place some day when I put it through the washer and she pulls it out of the dryer all warm and fluffy. Maybe I can pull the wool over her eyes (literally) and make a switch!
Nothing sweeter than a blaket thats been loved to pieces.

4 comments:

Jess said...

Try looking on etsy (my favorite place when I don't have time to make something myself), if I knew how to crochet I would but I can only knit, do you think she would notice the difference?

Karen said...

sooooo sweet!!! :) Love those blankets...memories to last a lifetime! :)
love,
Karen

Josie said...

haha, yeah that blanket has been through a lot. I thought i'd done my share in that area, but maybe my little girl would like to give aunt jo ANOTHER summer job? haha. Maybe I'll try it, just one more time!!!

C~ said...

i totally agree. nothing at all sweeter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...