Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Hello Old Friend

Im feeling like a terrible mother tonight!

Evie has had this mild cough for nearly 3 weeks.  It has only bothered her at night.  It hasnt gotten better.  But it hasnt gotten worse.

Im trying to not be an alarmist with my once-fragile child.  She's taken such great strides in the right direction.  She is the picture of health and its so easy to overlook what its taken to get her here.  I dont want to always be the overly-cautious mother hen and fret whenever she's not feeling up to par.  I dont want her growing up fearful....because Mommy is fearful.
So I kept an eye on it and felt confident that it would resolve itself.

Sunday night, her cough started sounding worse to me.  Reluctantly I called the pediatrician Monday morning.  Their appointments were all booked, but they offered to book an emergency slot if I needed to come that day.  No, no, no.  I was sure she could wait for Tuesday, no problem.
Then last night was horrid.  She kept waking up in coughing fits and her breathing was labored.
Vomit.
Fever.
The whole 9 yards.

Arriving at our appointment, I was already wishing Id brought her in the day before.  The pediatrician looked her over and diagnosed pneumonia and a double ear infection.

Oh-NO! Poor girl!

Im trying not to beat myself up for not taking her in sooner.  And trying to stifle the urge to rush her to the ER the next time she mentions a tummy ache...or stubs her toe.  :)
These heart kiddos are tough cookies.  When you've been through everything she has, I guess pneumonia is no biggie.  She had not complained a bit!

She was given a breathing treatment and we were sent to urgent care for X-rays of her lungs.

The orderly gave her a pink hospital gown.
She said it was her favorite color:)

Home we went with 4 prescriptions for steroids, breathing treatments and antibiotics.
Hello old friend.  Time to bring out Mr. Fish.  This little critter on Evie's nebulizer was her constant companion the first 18 months of her life.  I remember holding it through the rungs on her crib trying to give her her middle-of-the-night treatment without waking her as an infant.....and trying to constrain a restless toddler on my lap for 15 minutes several times a day.....and packing all this racket every time we went anywhere.  So glad he's retired to the back shelf of the medicine cabinet and we only have to dust him off once in a while!

Thinking we may have a stay in our pajamas and watch Disney princess movies and drink hot tea kind of day tomorrow!

6 comments:

Jess said...

I struggle with the urge to bring Lorelei to the dr every time she coughs too. Good luck and I hope she feels better really soon!

Laura said...

Oh no! I feel so bad for Evie, but the picture is adorable.

I am assuming that our playdate for tomorrow (Thur) will need to be rescheduled. Just send me a PM when you get a chance and I am sure that we can find another day.

Get well Evie. We love you!

:) Laura

The Simmons Family said...

Now I'm freaked out. Ha. Owen has had a cough for about a week and I'm on week three. He has had fevers off an on. His lungs sound clear to me, but I just cancelled his appointment for today. Bad mom. I'm taking him in tomorrow! :)

Shannon said...

Poor girl!

It is tough. I struggle just like you, not wanting to be insane, but not wanting to miss something really big. Don't beat yourself up, you're a GREAT mom! Just take advantage of all of the snuggle time! :)

Hope you feel better soon, sweet Evie!

Kristie said...

Hate that Evie is sick. I know how you feel about being hesitant. Charlotte has been sick with a lingering cough since October. Wednesday the Pediatrician diagnosed her with walking pneumonia. Will keep you all in our prayers. Get well soon Evie.

Anonymous said...

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as
though you relied on the video to make your point. You obviously know what youre
talking about, why waste your intelligence
on just posting videos to your weblog when you could be
giving us something informative to read?

Here is my blog: www.sexybabeworld.org

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...